Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Getting your foot in the door

I’m having a bit of a nostalgic moment this week....

As MGEITF gets ready to open applications for TV talent scheme The Network, I remember being a Communications student and being very jealous of my Broadcast student buddies at LSTV who were slowly breaking their way into the world of television.  I didn’t realise how many opportunities there were out there to give ordinary untrained people a leg up in the industry, and I had no idea how successful these opportunities were at getting you experience and jobs afterwards!  A placement at BBC Leeds PR Department got me a firm foot in the door.  It wasn’t glamorous at first, but at the end of the placement I’d unknowingly made some invaluable contacts who then helped me get work on really fun programmes such as Comic Relief and Children in Need.  I also learnt to make seriously good tea.

My point is, if you want to break into TV, put yourself in situations where you can MEET relevant people, and thank goodness for schemes like The Network which can do just that.

Happy networking!

Rebecca Lott,
Online Communications and Customer Experience Executive

No comments:

Post a Comment