Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 February 2012

The secrets of Daniell Morrisey's success....

So this week The Network applications opened! Hazar! With the purpose of giving someone, somewhere, with a passion for TV, a first step in their career! 

So that got us thinking.... It's always interesting to know how someone else got to where you wanna be! 

So to give a little inspiration to all of you applying for The Network, we have asked all our brilliant Network committee members to let us in on the secret of their success! 

Armed with this insider knowledge you can either try to follow in their footsteps, or more realistically, as Danny says below, "Follow your creative dreams with perseverance and resilience" and believe you will get to where you want to be!

So the first, to bravely open the door to his career is Daniell Morrisey, Talent Executive for BBC. 

Thanks Danny!

 

1. How did you get into TV? 
I always wanted to write and to work in the media, so throughout school and college I always found opportunities – work experience for the local newspaper, editing a newsletter for the museum and producing my own magazines and tapes. I went to Bournemouth University on a practical writing and media production course. While there I had the opportunity to spend a summer working on the BBC’s Casualty as an assistant floor manager. It was really hard work and long hours but it was fun and gave me a broad understanding of the production process.

2. What was your first job?
I spent a year as an editorial assistant after university, and then went on to do a Masters. Through a friend-of-a-friend, I volunteered as a runner on Vanessa Feltz’s radio show where I looked after guests, and sometimes got to run the audio desk. When I left Uni, my first role was as a researcher with the Press Association.

3. Was the first job what you expected?
There was lots of doing the same thing – no email or web, just lots of phone calls, faxes and letters. But I suggested starting a magazine which I launched and edited for several years.
4. What did you find particularly hard when you were starting out?
Trying to work out what I wanted to do.
5.  Did you get any advice at the beginning of your career that particularly helped you?
 Work hard.
6. What things do you know now that you wish you knew then?
Follow your creative dreams with perseverance and resilience and worry about all the sensible stuff later on.
7. What’s been a standout experience in your TV career so far?
Seeing people that I have recruited or helped develop in some way flourish into experienced producers, journalists, reporters and presenters.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment